OUR SERVICES FOR PERIODONTAL CARE & ORAL SURGERY
Village Green Family Dentistry provides a full range of general dentistry services such as preventative, restorative, cosmetic and surgical procedures to families and individuals of all ages, including those with special needs.
Periodontal care is important to prevent the diseases that can affect the gums and other tissues surrounding the teeth. Periodontal disease is an infection of the tissues that support your teeth. There are two major stages of periodontal disease: gingivitis, which is a milder and reversible form, but it can lead to a more serious, destructive form of periodontal disease called periodontitis. At Village Green Family Dentistry we offer patients the following periodontal care services:
- Scaling and Root Planing - Scaling and root planing, a form of deep cleaning, is performed to remove or eliminate plaque and calculus, which cause gums to become inflamed. This deep cleaning helps to keep the specialized tissues that both surround and support the teeth free of periodontal disease.
- Frenectomy (with Diode Laser) - A frenectomy is the removal of a frenulum, a section of tissue that is attached to the gingival tissue between two teeth. We perform frenectomies using a very safe and effective diode laser.
- Gingival Re-contouring (with Diode Laser) - Some people have gums that are simply too big when they smile. This is caused when gum tissue overgrows to cover more of the tooth than it should. To reshape the gum, we perform gingival re-contouring, using a very safe and effective diode laser.
- Gingivectomy (with Diode Laser) - A gingivectomy is the surgical removal of infected and diseased gum tissue, which is performed to arrest the progress of periodontal disease. We perform gingivectomies using a very safe and effective diode laser.
Oral surgery is surgery performed within the mouth cavity. At Village Green Family Dentistry we offer patients the following oral surgery treatments and procedures:
- All Types of Tooth Extractions - There are instances such as impacted wisdom teeth, extreme decay and damage from an accident when a tooth cannot be saved, and therefore must be extracted. When situations like these arise Village Green Family Dentistry is here to help.
- Alveoplasty - Alveoplasty is the surgical shaping of the tooth socket especially after extraction of several teeth or in preparation for dentures.
- Soft Tissue Biopsy - Should a suspicious area be found in the mouth, a soft tissue biopsy using a needle must be performed to determine if a serious medical problem is present.
- Suturing of Lacerations - When a patient has a mild to moderate laceration or cut in the oral cavity that requires stitches to close, we can suture it for them.
WHAT CAUSES TOOTH ENAMEL EROSION
Tooth enamel may be the strongest substance in the human body, but it is not immune to deterioration. Many factors can contribute to tooth enamel loss:
- Consumption of too many soft drinks or fruit drinks, along with poor dental hygiene.
- Eating lots of sour or acidic foods or candies.
- Dry mouth or low saliva volume. Saliva helps prevent decay by neutralizing acids and washing away leftover food in your mouth.
- Acid reflux disease (GERD), or heartburn.
- Bulimia, alcoholism, or binge drinking, in which frequent vomiting exposes teeth to stomach acids.
- Certain drugs or supplements with high acid content, such as aspirin or vitamin C.
- Friction and wear and tear, from brushing teeth too vigorously or grinding teeth.
>> Source: WebMD